A Club with Values for success
Welcome to Unley Park Baptist Basketball Club!
Our Basketball club is an integral part of the Unley Park Baptist community. The UPBC Basketball Club has competed in the SA Church Basketball Competition since the 1950s and following a brief recess, it recommenced in 1988. Since 1988 the club has grown to be a mixed-gender, inter-generational club, together winning 47 premierships.
Our club’s success is based on our core values:
Every Person Matters
We give our best and grow to be even better
we play with humility, passion & integrity
We give Honour and show Respect
We enjoy the Game and have fun
Frequently Asked Questions
Coaches / Team Managers
- All our Junior coaches have current Working with Children Checks and have completed Child Protection and Mandatory Reporting training.
- All our coaches are experienced volunteers.
- Games are played on Saturday afternoons between 1 pm and 6 pm.
- Stadiums vary from year to year but recently most games have been played at Immanuel College and Wayville Stadium.
- Training is a significant part of being a member of the Unley Park Basketball Club. It offers an opportunity to get to know the team, understand the team plans and dynamics, and develop individual skills.
- Training is held on Thursday nights at Emmaus Christian College, South Plympton.
- For juniors, tops and shorts are supplied on loan by the Club for a $20 refundable deposit.
- For seniors, tops are supplied and a limited number of shorts are available for hire.
- All uniforms must be returned at the end of each season.
- Subs are approximately $100-$120 per player. This covers the hire of training facilities, balls and equipment, umpires and team registration costs, and insurance to cover training.
- Insurance is paid directly to Basketball SA when registering at the beginning of the season (approximately $25 per player)
Game day admission charges are paid directly to the stadium as you arrive each week. In 2022 they were:
- Senior players $10
- Junior players $7
- Spectators are free.
Our Basketball club is an integral part of the Unley Park Baptist community. We understand that sport can often be emotive so with this in mind we present ten non-negotiable ground rules, which establish the expectations of our Church, and complement our values.
We aim to provide a positive and encouraging environment where all players show support for each other, both when playing and when sitting on the sideline. All players are expected to adhere to the simple ground rules below.
- Enjoy the game and give it your best.
- Encourage your teammates.
- Accept the role you have within the team.
- Respect the coach, teammates, officials and opposition.
- Listen to and observe what the Coach has to say.
- The coach or court captain is the only person that will talk to the umpires. Do not dispute the umpire.
- Share ideas about the game at half-time, not during time-outs.
- Never cheat, quit, sulk, or make excuses.
- Verbal or physical abuse will not be tolerated. Taunting or wrestling with the opposition is unacceptable.
- Unsportsmanlike or technical fouls will result in time on the bench.
Our basketball club is a valued part of the Unley Park Baptist Church community. Rev Jason Hoet is our club chaplain. Jason attends training and many games.