Here are patterns and tools to enhance our prayer life
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into time of trial, but deliver us from the evil one.
For yours is the kingdom, the power and the glory
forever and ever Amen
The Shema / The Jesus Creed
“Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.
Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul,
with all your mind, and with all your strength.” [The Shema – Deuteronomy. 6:4-5.1]
[Jesus adds Leviticus. 19:18.] “Love your neighbour as yourself.”
- Invite the Holy Spirit to help you see your day as God sees it.
- Be thankful. Name the gifts of your day and thank God for them.
- Notice God’s presence in your day. Where did you see him at work in you or in others?
- Reflect on those parts of your day where you fell short of who God wants you to be. Ask for forgiveness, mercy and peace.
- Look to tomorrow. Ask God for the grace you need for the day ahead and entrust it to him.
You-Who-Do-To-Through (the Collect)
“Eternal God and Father, by whose power we are created and by whose love we are redeemed; guide and strengthen us by your Spirit, that we may give ourselves to your service, and live this day in love to one another and to you; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.”Collect
- YOU – address and praise to God, such as:
- Almighty God, Light of the world, Creator of all that is good
- WHO – an attribute or action of God, such as:
- Who fills the earth with life, You know us better than we know ourselves
- DO – a petition connected to who you’ve just said God is, such as:
- Shine your love into our dark corners, Show us how to cherish what you create
- TO – why you’re asking God for this, such as:
- We long to live as one and bring you glory, So that future generations may live in abundance
- THROUGH – affirms that Jesus is our Way to the Father, such as:
- We ask in Jesus’ name, We pray this through Christ, in the Spirit’s power, trusting in your grace.
Dear Lord, thank you for loving me, for holding me in your hand.
Thank you for the mercies of yesterday and the gift of today.
Please give me the – strength, courage, wisdom, love, joy, patience, peace…to live this day as your Image Bearer in the world.
Help me to see through your eyes – to care as you care, to notice what you notice, to love what you love, to forgive as you forgive… – that I may be your representative in everything I do and to everyone I meet.
- L ament
- A doration
- C onfession
- T hanksgiving
- S upplication
- The Book of Psalms : )
- Pause pray – https://engageworship.org/pausepray
- Pray as you go – https://pray-as-you-go.org/ and app Apple | Android
- ACTS – https://bsfprayer.org/acts-prayer-model/
- Different kinds of examen – https://www.pathwaystogod.org/examen
- Lent examen – https://www.ignatianspirituality.com/ignatian-prayer/the-examen/from-ashes-to-glory/
- Take our moments and our days – Anabaptist prayer app Apple | Android
- Kingdom Roots (Scot McKnight) Apple | Other
- Things Above (James Bryan Smith) Apple | Other
- God Conversations (Tania Harris) Apple | Other
Photo by Plush Design Studio on Unsplash