GROWING CHILDREN IN FOLLOWING JESUS
Today we are looking at Matthew 15 about being included and the story of Jesus and the Canaanite woman.
Read the Bible story first and then watch this lesson.
Matthew 15:21-28 (ICB)
Jesus left that place and went to the area of Tyre and Sidon. A Canaanite woman from that area came to Jesus. The woman cried out, “Lord, Son of David, please help me! My daughter has a demon, and she is suffering very much.”
But Jesus did not answer the woman. So the followers came to Jesus and begged him, “Tell the woman to go away. She is following us and shouting.”
Jesus answered, “God sent me only to the lost sheep, the people of Israel.”
Then the woman came to Jesus again. She bowed before him and said, “Lord, help me!”
Jesus answered, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and give it to the dogs.”
The woman said, “Yes, Lord, but even the dogs eat the pieces of food that fall from their masters’ table.”
Then Jesus answered, “Woman, you have great faith! I will do what you asked me to do.” And at that moment the woman’s daughter was healed.
Questions to ask
- What are the hard words?
- What did not make sense?
- What questions do I have?
After you have watched the lesson and completed the bible reading, discuss these questions together:
Why did Jesus ignore the woman at first?
- Do you think this means Jesus didn’t love her?
How do you think the woman would have felt?
- How would you respond if you were this woman? What would you do, how would you feel, what would you be thinking?
When have you ever felt left out because you didn’t fit in?
- God wants to include everyone as part of his family, no matter what.
What is something we can obey?
- We learn things about God to help us live God’s way. It is not good when God’s truth does not make a difference in how we live.
Who can we share what we have learned with?
- Don’t keep God’s great news secret! Share this amazing life we have in Jesus with others.
Dear Jesus , thank you that we are all included as part of your family. You are willing to help us in every kind of trouble. May we have bold faith and trust you in all our challenges. Amen.
Memory Verse John 3:17
- For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
- Jesus finally did heal the woman’s daughter. What about you? Do you ask Jesus for help? What will you ask Him to help you with today?
Our song this week is ‘I’m Trusting You, ROAR’ Why don’t you sing along!
Tanya talks to us about Milk and the bible!