As age-old institutions, churches are not famous for innovation. But I thought as an exercise of thankfulness it would be good to reflect on just how our church community has responded in these past few months.
- On March 22, we shut our building and live-streamed for the first time. This was done with just over a week turnaround, while we maintained business as usual;
- Over the next month we learnt how to produce video, zoom interviews, mix sound for live stream, host, perform, preach for an online audience;
- Our tech crew learnt new software, hardware, processes, skills;
- We had an amazing online Good Friday Service and Easter weekend;
- How incredible were those dramas our young people did at Easter!
- We learnt how to worship together while with our households;
- We had the Hutchinson’s speak live to our online service from Cambodia and then lead us in communion;
- We refitted the way we did Kids Church with resources for at-home teaching, videos for Kids talks and lessons.
- Youth Group met in virtual groups, produced video teaching, and ran YouTube events
- Our Council and Growth Groups met virtually, with many of our older members learning this technology for the first time.
- We partnered with Mahdavi Parker to deliver an online seminar for families which had more than 300 people attending.
- We ran our series ‘Jesus the Gamechanger’ across all groups of our church, for 6 weeks virtually.
- We now have a YouTube channel, will continue to live stream and video our services
- We produced and enacted COVID19 plans that required significant updating most weeks, due to constant changes.
- Our congregation increased its commitment to care through intentionally looking out for one another.
- Our pastoral care team increased its 1-1 contact through personal phone calls.
- We blessed our local public-school teachers with coffee and sent thank you videos.
- We joined with Goodwood Community centre to encourage our local community.
- We built connections and encouraged people who have never been to our church and in some cases live overseas.
Anything I missed? Well done church. Not bad at all for a bunch of ‘non-innovators’ 😉 Deep thanks to ALL of you. Together we have grown as the people of God and as a blessing to others.
Jason (Photo on www.moneycrashers.com)